Chopped Kale Salad
Today’s #MeatlessMonday meal is full of big crunch! It’s a chopped kale salad filled with delicious fruit; strawberries, apricots and bright green apples – crunchy nuts and vegetables – it’s a big meal full of protein and great flavor!
I made this completely with kale, but if straight kale is too much for you (for some feel it’s rather bitter) add a good handful of chopped spinach and some crunchy iceberg lettuce – yup, that would be perfect! And you’d still receive all of the amazing health benefits of those dark green leafy vegetables!
I confess, I had some fun styling this simple salad! I started by piling the greens in the middle of the bowl, then slicing the strawberries (which are so good right now in California!) into fourths and piling them right down the center of the bowl. Next I added a handful of pecans on each edge, then filled in with quartered apricots, sliced celery on one side. On the other side egg slices and diced green apples. I topped it with a store bought (gasp! :D) coleslaw dressing, salt & pepper – but if you want to make your own salad dressing my Poppy Seed Salad Dressing that I shared the other day would be perfect with this yummy Chopped Kale Salad.
Chopped Kale Salad #MeatlessMonday
- 4 cups chopped kale stems removed finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 2 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup dried apricots quartered
- 2 boiled eggs
- 2 stalks celery cleaned well and sliced thinly
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 granny smith apple diced - no need to peel
- 1/2 lemon
- Chop the kale, spinach & iceberg lettuce and pile it into a bowl.
- Wash & quarter the strawberries, quarter the apricots, slice the celery - add to the bowl. Peel & slice the boiled eggs, add them to the salad. Clean the apple, slice in half - dice thinly and squeeze the lemon over the diced pieces, mixing well so the lemon juice coats the apple. This will keep it from browning.
- Add the pecan halves - top with your favorite dressing and toss well!