Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
Guest blog from Michelle - The Complete Savorist
I'm so excited to share with you this post today! Yesterday, I offered a guest post on The Complete Savorist and today, Michelle is returning the favor! You know me....I love things in a bowl and just look at what Michelle has created to share with you! Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry AND it's made in the slow cooker - this looks amazing!
Thank you Debra for the opportunity guest post on your wonderful blog. Hi everyone, my name is Michelle De La Cerda and I blog over at The Complete Savorist. I've been blogging for just a bit over a year now. I tend to blog healthy recipes favoring lots of protein and veggies however, I am only human so those more decadent items known as carbs show up from time to time. And I am powerless before a brownie.
When I was thinking about what to make to share over here on Bowl Me Over, I was told the world was my oyster. Except I knew there would be no oysters involved in the making of this post. I love Debra's concept of things served in a bowl and since the calendar says it's still winter (despite what the mercury actually says), I opted to stick with her concept.
Lately, I have been craving Asian and Indian flavors, as has my daughter, she's 4½. Indian is by far her most favorite food on the planet (corndogs, a close second) and when I make it at home, as long as there are no visible mushrooms, she will eat her plate clean and ask for more.
Well my daughter had two full bowls of this and asked for it for breakfast the next morning, so in my mind, that's the highest praise this home cook/mommy can get. I hope you all enjoy this as much as we did.
Chicken and Sweet Potato Curry
- Spice blend:
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (Indian chili powder not Mexican)
- 1½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cloves garlic; grated/minced
- 1-2 tablespoon honey to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro; chopped reserving a bit for garnish
- 1-15 oz can chicken broth
- 1-15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 lbs large 4 small sweet potatoes; cubed (about 1¾ .)
- 2 lbs chicken thighs boneless/skinless
- 2 green bell peppers; sliced
- 1 small onion; sliced
- 2 cups peas frozen
- Add the chicken, onions, sweet potatoes, and bell peppers to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, add all the dried seasonings, garlic and whisk in the chicken broth until the spices are well blended.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the spiced broth and mix well.
- Add the honey and cilantro, and once blended, pour over the chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Place the lid and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the chicken has been cooked through and the sweet potatoes are tender.
- The last 20 minutes of cooking, add the frozen peas, mix well, replace the lid and allow them to heat through.
- Garnish with the reserved bit of cilantro.
- Note: I wanted it slightly thicker, less soupy, so the last hour or so of cooking, I removed the lid to allow the liquid to evaporate a bit. This is a matter of personal choice.
Sign up for my recipes here!!Don't worry, we'll never share your email.
Just a quick note from me, Souper Chef Deb - This would make your home smell amazing, not to mention how delicious it will be. I love the combination of spices in this recipe and will be making this in the next day, I hope you do also! Thanks Michelle, you have certainly bowled me over! 😀