Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad with crunchy fresh sweet corn and jicama, hearty black beans and rich creamy avocados make an easy and delicious salad! The dressing is light, bright and sweet and they go together deliciously!
This post has been updated from June 2016
The dog days of summer in the central valley means hot sunny days and warm summer nights. We just broke a record. Thirty days of triple digit heat and trust me this isn’t a record you want to break! Several of those days were extreme heat with the temperature 105 and above.
The air is unhealthy due to the wildfires raging to the north of us. Even Yosemite is closed, evacuated from the fire danger and unhealthy air quality. It’s definitely been a summer for the record book.
The good news is hot summer days makes for some delicious summer produce. Fresno State is still producing great sweet corn and corn on the cob is a real favorite!
What can I say, I try to find a silver lining, how about you? 😅
You will love all of the fresh flavors in this salad – delicious sweet corn, crunchy jimica, cilantro & onion, the rich flavors from the black beans and the creaminess from the avocado.
The honey lime vinaigrette brings it all together in this yummy fresh salad!
Shopping list for Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad
- black beans
- red onion
What is Jicama?
- If you’re not familiar with it, it is a root vegetable.
- The texture of jicama is similar to a radish or potato, but the flavor is bright & sweet!
- You’ll find it at the supermarket, usually in the section with the beets and turnips (pictured below on the right).
Steps to make a Black Bean Avocado Corn Salad
- Shuck the corn and blanch it boiling water.
- Slice the kernels off the corn.
- Add the corn to a large bowl.
- Drain the can of black beans and rinse thoroughly.
- Peel the jicama and dice
- Chop the onion and cilantro – add to the corn.
- Whisk together ingredients for dressing.
- Add the dressing to the salad and stir to combine.
- Slice the avocado, remove the pits, squeeze with lemon to prevent browning.
- Top with the Black Bean Corn Salad and serve!
See how easy this salad comes together? Lots of crunch, with plenty of creaminess from the avocado. The easy homemade dressing is sweet with tiny bit of heat. Simple, bright and perfect flavors!
Can I use canned or homemade black beans?
- Homemade or canned, either will work! If you are interested in making your own black beans here’s my favorite recipe! Vegetarian Black Bean Recipe
This is a versatile salad also. Perfect for a light lunch or side salad and the flavors are tremendous. I couldn’t tell you how yummy this salad is! I’ve made it several times and we absolutely love it! If you are serving this as a side salad, just dice the avocado and add it in right before serving.
More delicious salads? You betcha, check out these yummy recipes!
- Fresh Chili Lime Sweet Corn Salad – West via Midwest
- Greek Coleslaw – Bowl Me Over
- Mexican Sweet Corn in a Bowl – Healing Tomato
- Mexican Street Corn Salad – Lemon Blossoms
- Heirloom Tomato Salad – Bowl Me Over
- Mexican Corn Salad – Lemoine Family Kitchen
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad
Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad
Easy Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad with crunchy fresh sweet corn and jicama, hearty black beans and rich creamy avocados make an easy and delicious salad!
- Salad Ingredients
- 4 ears corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 jimica peeled and diced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1-2 avocados
- 1 lemon
- Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- just a pinch of cayenne
Shuck the corn and blanch it boiling water. When cool, slice the kernels off the corn, add to a large bowl.
Drain the can of black beans and rinse thoroughly.
Peel the jicama and dice, chop the onion and cilantro - add to the corn.
Whisk together ingredients for dressing.Add the dressing to the salad and stir to combine.
Slice the avocado, remove the pits, squeeze with lemon to prevent browning. Top with the Black Bean Corn Salad and serve!