Beer Cheese Soup
I accepted the challenge by Silk Almond Milk to “Sideline Meat this football season by having a #MeatlessMondayNight” – that means –
- Create a recipe using a Silk product
- The recipe had to be vegetarian or vegan
- and it has to be a tailgating recipe!
Ok….I’ll be honest….numbers 1 & 2 – no problem, I’m all over that…..but number three made me stop & think. Tailgating….vegan or veggie style and using almond milk? Hmmmm……ok, chatted with my vegan buddy Jessica (and she will laugh if she reads this) and thought yeah….I got this! I will stick with what I know best….and that is soup!
Beer Cheese Soup! Does soup work for tailgating? HECK yeah!!! Heat this up and toss it in a thermos. Do like I did and use bread bowls and a plastic spoon and you’re set, dish up the soup and when you’re done you can even eat the bowl! Since football is played in the fall & winter, a steamy hot soup like this will warm you up and fill your belly and coat it for…well all of the beverages you’re about to consume while tailgating! 😀
The almond milk compliments the beer flavor with a rich earthy taste. I used an IPA beer originally, but my resident beer expert (my hubby) suggested a lager or a stout – the bitterness of an IPA needed to be toned down a bit and he’s absolutely right.
Easy and quick you can even make this in the morning before you leave. Honestly, it takes longer to grate the cheese then it does to make the soup – easy-peasy, off to the game you go!
Special thanks to my friends at Silk Almond Milk for the products provided for this post, however the recipe and opinions are all my own. You’ll definitely want to give this yummy soup a try!
More great Vegan and Vegetarian Soups and Stews!
Beer Cheese Soup for #MeatlessMonday
- 1 12 oz bottle beer - recommend lager or a stout
- 2 cups each grueyere, gouda and sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup brie cheese cubed
- 1 onion peeled, chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup Silk Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon vegan *Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large heavy bottom pot begin by melting the butter over medium heat. When melted, add the olive oil & chopped onions. Saute for about 5 minutes until they just begin to get soft.
- While the onions are cooking, mince the garlic and shred and prepare all of the cheeses.
- After 5 minutes of cooking the onions, add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute. Then add in the flour. Cook and stir the flour for about two minutes, it will cook thru and turn slightly gold in color. Then add in the beer and vegetable stock - stir and cook to combine, the mixture will be creamy and quite thick. Add the Worcestershire and tabasco sauce and about 1/2 teaspoon of salt & pepper. Lastly add the Almond Milk and all of the cheeses, stir well to combine - you'll have a rich creamy, cheesy fabulous soup!
- Add a bit of nutmeg over the top to finish the soup, give it a stir and it's ready to be packed up and brought to the game!
*If you aren’t up for making your own vegan Worcestershire Sauce my friend Debi from Life Currents suggests substituting soy sauce for that salty bite!