Zucchini Tomato Side Dish – I have the easiest recipe for you today. I’m calling this a side, but you could also use this as a main dish if you’re wanting to lighten things up!
Ok….it’s that time of the summer when we all have zucchini coming out our ears, right? Do you grow it in your garden or is your neighbor dropping it off on your doorstep? 😀 Well, you’re not alone! My hubby brought home a bagful of BIG zucchini from and sometimes those can be a little bitter and not very tender. Well I’m sharing this today, because it’s one of my favorites and it’s easy…and it’s a great way really enjoy and use up those zucchini!
Zucchini Tomato Side Dish
Zucchini Tomato Side Dish - I'm sharing this today, because it's one of my favorites and it's easy...and it's a great way really enjoy and use up those zucchini!
- 1 large zucchini chopped - 6-8 cups
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes lightly drained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat on the stove top. Add the butter and olive oil
- Wash the zucchini well, remove the ends and chop it into 1 inch bite size pieces - you'll need 6-8 cups zucchini. Chop the onion. Add the zucchini & onion to the pan - also add the Italian seasoning and black pepper.
- Saute the vegetables on the stove for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain about half the liquid out of the canned tomatoes and add them to the pan. Stir well to incorporate. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the parmesan cheese and stir thoroughly to incorporate, the mixture will thicken slightly. Remove from the stove and serve.
You can also spice this up with some red pepper flakes, or if you have an excess of tomatoes from the garden – great time to use those up too! You can substitute 2 cups of chopped tomatoes for the canned tomatoes.