Zucchini Parmesan Soup
Here it is Monday again and the day is halfway over….ahhh! How does this keep happening to me? 😀
Well, I know why it keeps happening. Today is my first day back after a wonderful vacation. I have so many ideas going thru my head it was tough to narrow them down. So rather than dive into something new…. I decided to improve the old.
30 Minute Zucchini Parmesan Soup! This is a delicious vegetarian soup I originally shared over at The Healing Tomato’s blog some time ago. Since that time I’ve improved my photography skills.
And my cooking skills.
Because I’ve tweaked this recipe a bit, I think it’s worth of sharing with you again! This is one of my souper easy 30 minute wonder soup and can be easily made when you get home from work.
Start by chopping the vegetables and sauté them for about 5 minutes or so. Add stock and bring to a boil. When the potatoes are soft, everything goes into the blender. Whirl it up and you’re done.
No need to peel the potatoes, just chop them up small and when you blend everything together it becomes silky and creamy without any cream.
This soup is simply delicious and simple – my kinda meal!
Zucchini Parmesan Soup
- 2 cups leeks sliced in half, cleaned and chopped
- 4 cups zucchini chopped
- 3 cups Yukon Gold potatoes chopped
- 1 16 oz container sliced button mushrooms
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Start by chopping & cleaning the vegetables. Remove the dark green leaves from the top of the leeks and set aside, slice each leek in half and run them under cold water. Often times dirt & grime hides between the layers, just make sure to rinse them well to remove it. Slice the zucchini in half and then into one inch pieces. Chop the potatoes into small one inch pieces - this will help them cook quickly.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, add the butter & olive oil. Add in all of the vegetables and season with salt, pepper & red pepper flakes. Sauté the veggies, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until they just begin to soften.
- Add in about 3 cups of stock - just enough to cover the vegetables. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Continue to boil until the potatoes are fork tender, turn off the heat. Add the parmesan cheese and stir until melted. Using a blender in batches, or a submersion blender, puree the soup until it is silky and smooth. Taste to adjust the seasoning. Because the parmesan is quite salty, you may need to add some pepper, but probably not salt. That's it! Rich and decadent soup that is done in less than 30 minutes!