There are a couple things I want to share as I write this post…
1. No, I haven’t lost my mind.
2. I remember one time I was cooking Christmas dinner when I lived in Southern California. Our entire family was going to Disneyland on Christmas day – my brother and his family went early in the morning. My folks & I were to meet them at noon with a complete meal we would enjoy as a picnic. My brother took me aside before they left for the Mouse House and said most vehemently….DO NOT cook anything weird. (This would definitely qualify.)
3. And lastly….don’t knock it until you try it!
Twisted peanut butter and jelly sandwich – I work out of our home and during the day usually have the TV on in the living room for background noise, often it’s tuned into the Food Network or the Cooking Channel – hey, it’s what I do! Well a few weeks ago the show Eat Street was on & they were reviewing food trucks in LA – I heard just a snippet of an interview of a food truck centered around everything peanut butter. What caught my eye was the people gushing about a PB&J Sandwich made with peanut butter, marmalade jam, Sriracha & basil. What? Either this is really good…or really bad!
Well, let me tell you….it is worth gushing about! I made a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, sprinkled it with basil and Sriracha sauce, put it together and grilled it like you would a toasted cheese sandwich. Didn’t have a recipe, just kinda made it up.
It is crispy, creamy, spicy, and oooey-gooey! In a word, fabulous! You definitely need to give this a try! It can’t get any easier – if you don’t have basil, use cilantro, don’t have marmalade jam? Use peach or mango instead. If you think about it – these are all fabulous Thai flavors, the only thing that is new & different is adding the bread.
Ok….here’s the time I have to repeat myself – don’t knock it until you try it and please make sure you do, it’s delicious!
Twisted Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich for #MeatlessMonday
Twisted Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich for #MeatlessMonday - peanut butter, jam, basil and Sriracha grilled sandwich - don't knock it until you try it! 😉
- Peanut Butter
- Marmalade Jam
- Sriracha Chili Sauce
- 1-2 leaves basil per sandwich
- Preheat a fry pan on the stove over medium heat.
- Roll up the basil leaves and thinly slice them.
- Generously spread one side of the bread with peanut butter and the other side with marmalade jam. Liberally drizzle Sriracha sauce on one side of the bread and top with the basil leaves, as pictured below. Combine the sandwich. Butter the outside of the bread and place in the preheated fry pan (just like you would a toasted cheese sandwich). It takes about 2-3 minutes per side, cook until each side is crisp and golden brown. Enjoy!