Turkey Soup with Roasted Vegetables – Leftover turkey from the holidays? Use it in this great soup! Lots of veggies and tons of flavor, it’s a winter meal in a bowl!
Turkey Soup with Roasted Vegetables
Turkey Soup with Roasted Vegetables - Leftover turkey from the holidays? Use it in this great soup! Lots of veggies and tons of flavor, it's a winter meal in a bowl!
- 1 leek chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey cubed into bite sized pies
- 4 cups chicken or turkey stock
- Parmesan Rind optional
- Vegetables to roast
- 1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
- 2 yams
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1 cup fresh Brussels sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Start by roasting the tomatoes, yams, cauliflower & brussels sprouts. Leave the tomatoes whole. Peel and slice the yams into bite sized pieces, slice the brussels sprouts in half and break the cauliflower into florets. Place everything on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, turning one during the process.
- While the veggies are roasting clean the leek. Slice the bottom off the root and remove the dark green end off the leek and discard. Slice the leek in half and run it under cold water. Often times leek have bits of grime in between the layers, so be sure to clean them carefully.
- Heat a large stock pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil & 1 tablespoon butter. Add the chopped leeks and mushrooms. Add 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Saute for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another minute or so. Add in the parmesan rind
- When the veggies are roasted, add them to the stock pot with the leeks & mushrooms. Stir to combine. Add the chicken or turkey and 4-6 cups of chicken stock. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
If you grate your own parmesan, save the rind, wrap it well & toss in the freezer. When you’re making soup, add it in! It adds a delicious depth of flavor!