Sweet Potato Soup
Sweet Potato Soup - I served this with some homemade cornbread when company came over and it was a delicious, satisfying lunch. #Vegetarian
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 3 sweet potatoes or yams peeled and diced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 bunch parsley finely chopped
- Parmesan rind * optional
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spices - set aside.
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil and then add the onion, celery, bell pepper and sweet potatoes (or yams). Stirring occasionally cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables just begin to soften.
- Add the spice mixture, parmesan rind (if using) and the garlic - mix well and cook for a couple of minutes to roast the spices.
- Add the tomatoes, garbanzo beans and stock. Mix well. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer on the stove for 30 minutes to combine all of the flavors and cook until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Using a food processor, ladle out about 1/3 of the soup into the food processor. On high, process it until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add this back into the soup and mix well. Processing a portion of the soup is an extra step, but gives the soup a creamy texture minus any cream.
- Stir in the parsley and you're ready to serve.
I served this with some homemade cornbread when company came over and it was a delicious, satisfying lunch.
*I usually grate my own parmesan & when I get down to the rind, rather than throw it away, I freeze it. When it comes time to make soup, I take it out of the freezer and toss it in the soup. It adds a great depth of flavor. And when you're ready to serve the soup....hide that parmesan rind in the bottom of your bowl...it's delicious! 😀