Roasted Potatoes and Radishes
We’ve had some nice weather here in Central Cali – I know in many parts of the country and world, the weather has been anything but warm and sunny….. but today we’re approaching a record high of 77 degrees….. let’s see if we make it!
And since it’s been so beautiful, we’ve been doing some BBQ’ing. My hubby is quite the griller and I find it’s best when I just step out of the way and let him do his thing, because he does it very well!
But today….I’m not here to talk about these amazing grilled steaks (which we got at our local Von’s all seasoned up & ready to go) or the fresh crunchy asparagus (which is just finding it’s way into our farmers markets), but instead these delicious veggies…. Roasted Potatoes and Radishes! And they are worthy of a blog post all by themselves!
Lots of people roast potatoes, but if you’ve never tried roasted radishes, it’s time to change that! It’s super simple (that has definitely been my theme as of late) and really flavorful – it’s the perfect and affordable side dish for grilled chicken, pork or steak.
Clean the potatoes well and slice them in half. Clean the radishes, lob off the greens and remove the root end – keep them whole. (Basically you want the potatoes & radishes to be about the same size for even cooking time.) Put the potatoes & radishes in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, dash on some grill seasoning, salt & pepper – spread them out on a sheet pan, cut side down and into the oven they go. Bake, flip once and bake again.
We all know what roasted potatoes taste like and the radishes, well roasting mellows their peppery spice, lightens their color and sweetens the flavor just a bit. They taste kinda like a roasted turnip with a peppery finish. We LOVE them – it’s definitely something you’re going to want to try! Plus they are a great low carb substitute if you omit the potatoes.
So what’s the weather like where you live? Are you itching to light up your grill?
Roasted Potatoes and Radishes
Roasted Potatoes and Radishes - Lots of people roast potatoes, but if you've never tried roasted radishes, it's time to change that!
- 1 1/2 pounds fingerling potatoes
- 1 bunch radishes
- 1-2 tablespoons grill seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Wash and clean potatoes. Slice any large potatoes in half - put them in a large bowl.
- Wash and clean radishes. Remove the green tops and the roots. Add them to the bowl. Basically you want the potatoes & the radishes to be about the same size so they have even cooking time.
- Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and mix well. Sprinkle with grill seasoning, salt & pepper. Mix well to combine. Put all of the vegetables on a sheet pan. Make sure they are evenly spaced out so they can roast (not steam). Place all of the cut sides down. Scatter the radishes around the pan. Place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes - remove & flip all of the vegetables over, return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Can be served hot or room temperature.