Quinoa Greek Salad
I’m going to start by saying I absolutely adore this salad! I love everything about it – the crunchy goodness, sweetness from the tomatoes, bell peppers and the salad dressing and the saltiness from the feta cheese & kalamata olives.
It is pure salad heavenliness to me!
Now I know there are people that aren’t fans of quinoa. But for those people I say, you need to try this salad! Quinoa has an earthy & nutty flavor and with all of these ingredients, it’s a perfectly made Greek Salad.
The first time I had this salad was at Jacks Urban Eats in Sacramento. One of my go-to restaurants they always had the best salads, but now living in Fresno…three hours was quite a drive to enjoy this wonderful salad. (Since I’ve moved here, they’ve opened a restaurant in Fresno so YAY!). So I created my version and it’s so easy too! Check out this video I made on Facebook. Simple and so delicious, this is a wonderful salad!
Quinoa only takes about 15 minutes to make. One cup quinoa, a pinch of salt and two cups water. On the stove it goes. Bring it to a boil, reduce to simmer and 15 minutes later you’re set. Quinoa is done when it releases into a spiral. See it in the picture below?
While the Quinoa is cooking, make Homemade Greek Vinaigrette – five minutes tops and the salad dressing is ready. The recipe is below – simply combine all of the ingredients into a mason jar and shake vigorously to combine – done!
When the quinoa is done, remove it from the stove and scoop it into a strainer to allow the excess liquid to drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Then you’ll do some chopping. Remove the ribs from the kale and discard, chop it finely. Dice the cucumber, slice the bell pepper and slice each tomato in half. Add the remaining ingredients. Top everything off with the feta cheese and mix well.
Are you ready to pass your plate over so I can give you a big helping? Please tell me you think this looks as good as I do? 😀 I seriously love this salad! Inexpensive to make and full of protein, it’s an amazing meal!
Kale and Quinoa Greek Salad
Kale and Quinoa Greek Salad - I love everything about this salad - the crunchy goodness, sweetness from the tomatoes, green peppers and the salad dressing and the saltiness from the feta cheese & kalamata olives.
- 1 cup Quinoa dry
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 8 oz feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cups English cucumber sliced into bite sized chunks (about 2 )
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced thinly into match sticks
- 1 8 oz jar pitted kalamata olives sliced in half (15-20 olives
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers
- Measure one cup dry quinoa and cook according to package directions. When the quinoa is done, remove it from the stove and scoop it into a strainer to allow the excess liquid to drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Remove the ribs from the kale. Tightly roll the kale leaves and slice the kale into ribbons.
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise and remove the seeds by running a spoon down the middle. Chop the cucumber into bite sized pieces. Slice the cherry tomatoes, bell pepper & olives. Add these items and the pepperoncini peppers into the salad bowl.
- When the quinoa has cooled, add it and the crumbled feta cheese to the salad bowl and toss it with the Homemade Greek Vinaigrette Salad Dressing.
- This can be served at room temperature or chilled. It's also great the next day.
- Nutritional information based on 6 2 cup servings and includes Greek Vinaigrette Salad Dressing.
Kale and Quinoa Greek Salad
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons parsley minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl add the garlic, oregano, mustard, vinegar, salt & pepper. Whisk well to combine. Slowly add the olive oil & continue to whisk briskly to emulsify.
- Or....do what I do....put all of the ingredients into a mason jar and shake vigorously - that's it, it's ready and easy to store if you don't use it all!