Mushroom Risotto Soup #30MinuteMeal #MeatlessMonday
I love a soup that offers a deep depth of flavor without taking hours and hours to make! Mushroom Risotto Soup is done in less than 30 minutes, uses a shortcut or two and is an amazing meal!
The shortcut comes in using a can of cream of mushroom soup – more flavor, less time…that works for me!
So to back up a bit, as I’d mentioned last week I attended the Everything Food Blogger Conference in Salt Lake City. So much to learn, so many people to meet and so much eating (pretty sure I mentioned that last week! :D) and this pretty much goes without saying, but stretchy pants were a must, LOL!
One of the classes I took was for Live Streaming Video’s online offered by Travel and Cooking expert – Ask Chef Dennis. He explained how to do videos and how it is the next thing, etc. And well, I really didn’t think it was my thing, but as the class progressed, it got me to thinking – hmmmm….. I have the equipment I need, so why not give it a try – hence my first live stream on Facebook, which was of this recipe! You find it on my Facebook page by clicking here. Full disclosure, as I was preparing for the live stream, I was scurrying around the kitchen. I cleaned this….I fixed that….rearranged something else….and about that time, I realized I was stalling – I remembered Chef Dennis said – Just Do It!! So I pushed play and got started!
All you need for this meal is the patience to stand at the stove & stir occasionally. This meal is easy enough for one of the kids to help you with in the kitchen and delicious enough to make everyone come back for more. Simmering for only 20 minutes cooks the rice perfectly and keeps the vegetables firm – an excellent contrast of textures and flavors. Soup is good food!
Mushroom Risotto Soup
Mushroom Risotto Soup - All you need for this meal is the patience to stand at the stove & stir occasionally. Rich, creamy delish!
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup carrots peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Pour vegetable stock, mushroom soup and water into a medium sauce pan. Place over medium heat, stir well to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Chop onions, mushrooms, carrots and garlic.
- Place an additional stockpot over medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil, when bubbly add the onions, mushrooms and carrots. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Sauté over medium heat for five minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Add the garlic and Arborio rice and sauté for another minute. Stir the rice, coating all the grains of rice evenly with the butter and oil.
- Add the wine to deglaze the pan while continuing to stir the vegetables and rice. When the liquid begins to evaporate, start adding in the stock, 2-3 ladles at a time. You'll want to keep the rice mixture at a light bubble and stir it constantly. Stirring it will release the starches in the rice and thicken the soup. Every time it looks like the liquid is nearly absorbed, add a couple more ladles of stock, about every 4-5 minutes. Finish by adding in the remaining liquid. It will take 18-20 minutes for the rice to be done.
- Finish by adding in the parmesan cheese and if desired a sprinkle of parsley
When the final liquid is added, you’ll have a rich, thick, creamy soup without the cream! From start to finish this delicious homemade Mushroom Risotto Soup is done in just 30 minutes!