Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Recipe re-do published originally 7/30/14
This sauce has been called the Best Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ever! Now I want to go on the record – I did not make this statement….it was my friend Nicole.
When visiting Nicole & family in Texas we were trying to figure out what to make for dinner. We had LOTS of family coming by; big kids, little kids, adults – all ages and sizes. Vegetarians, meat eaters – this is definitely a meal that pleases everyone!
And we decided upon Fettuccini Alfredo. This creamy deliciousness is something everyone would like! Super easy, this meal is deliciously filling and full of cheesy deliciousness! Bonus? You probably have everything you need in your pantry and fridge. Who doesn’t love that?
Half and half, butter, shallots (or onions), garlic and parmesan cheese. You want it to be really fancy? Sprinkle some parsley on top! Check your frig., I will bet you have everything to make this for dinner tonight!
The sauce comes together very easy. You’ll sauté the shallot & garlic. Add a bit of flour, cook for a minute more, then slowly pour in the half & half after a bit add the cheese. Perfect creamy deliciousness!
Is your mouth watering yet? If it’s not, I’m not doing my job!!!
So back to the story, the name came from my friend Nicole. She has traveled extensively and has lived or been just about everywhere including Italy. Nicole has had lots of Alfredo Sauce over the years and declared this The BEST Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ever! Well, not sure I’d take it that far, but this is darn good! 😀
Simple ingredients….fantastic food, that’s what a great meal is all about! Give this recipe a try and tell me if it lives up to it’s name.
So tell me –
- What is your go-to meal when you’re serving a crowd?
- Do you have a favorite sauce?
- Are you going to give this a try?!!
The BEST Homemade Alfredo Sauce Ever
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese plus an addition 1/2 cup for serving
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons parsley minced
- 16 oz pasta - use your favorite!
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and pepper. Lightly saute until the onions are translucent. It won't take long, 4-5 minutes then add the garlic and saute just until it becomes fragrant - about 30 seconds or so.
- Reduce heat to low and sprinkle with the flour. Continue sautéing for another minute to cook out the flour taste, stirring constantly.
- Add the wine and continue to stir constantly. Cook about another minute. The sauce will be very thick.
- Reduce the heat to low and slowly pour in the half & half. Continue to stir until the mixture begins to thicken - this will only take a couple of minutes. Do not allow the milk to boil as it will curdle.
- Add the parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Taste for seasonings. You may need to add a pinch of salt. Simmer the sauce on low for about 10 minutes. You'll want to continue to simmer it to bring all of the flavors together, so while it is cooking away, you will have time to cook the pasta.
- Remove from heat & add 1/2 the parsley.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain well, do not rinse.
- Add the cooked pasta to the Alfredo Sauce and mix to combine. Take your time and mix it together really well. If the pasta is too stiff, add a ladle of pasta water.
- Serve topped with additional parmesan cheese & parsley.