Grilled Vegetable Sandwich for #MeatlessMonday
This morning when I unloaded the dishwasher I put all of the coffee cups in the refrigerator. Then turned on my computer only to have it freeze up. Something tells me it’s going to be one of those days! 😀 It’s probably time to take a deep breath and slow down huh?
Well, I got the computer going and all the dishes put away! So I wanted to share this meal with you! It’s a grilled vegetable sandwich using vegetables from a nearby roadside market. The central valley in California is always rich in produce. Last week I stopped & picked up tomatoes, spaghetti & zucchini squash. I also got a honeydew melon, plums, nectarines and tons of beautiful bell peppers all for only $20 bucks!
I’m still working on getting the perfect lighting, but this is a fun video with some family introductions!
If you haven’t grilled vegetables before, it’s really simple. For the eggplant & zucchini, I simply cut them into planks. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt & pepper and onto the grill they go!
The same with the bell peppers and onions. You’ll want to make sure you get good grill marks on them – there’s so much flavor there!
Next slice up the bread
I used a good rye bread, there’s so much flavor there! I put a smear of cream cheese on the bottom slice and piled on the grilled vegetables. Next I added a slice of provolone cheese. Then tucked it under the broiler for about a minute until the cheese got all melty!
A beautiful tomato on top and it’s a perfect meal!
Does that look like a perfect meal or what? YUM! If you’d prefer to keep it vegan, a few slices of avocado would be delicious also. My husband said this was the perfect sandwich! All of those big meaty vegetables were a delicious satisfying meal!
Grilled Vegetable Sandwich #MeatlessMonday
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 tomato
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- cream cheese
- This is super easy to put together. Slice the vegetables into planks. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt & pepper and grill over a hot grill for 3-4 minutes per side, until you get good grill marks.
- Slice the bread and spread the bottom slice with cream cheese. Pile on the grilled eggplant, zucchini, red onion & bell pepper. Top with provolone cheese.
- Preheat the broiler & place the sandwiches under the grill until the cheese is melted. Remove from the boiler. Add the sliced tomatoes and cap it off with the second slice of bread. Enjoy!