Ginger does the Curry with Peach Jam
After making this amazing jam I asked my hubby to try it which he did. When he bit into the bagel he said mmmmm. I asked him to describe the jam and he said mmmmm. So then I tried it and said mmmmm.
Seriously this is an amazing jam! I want to add also that I did not enhance these pictures at all! This jam is that bright and beautiful!
Why the name? Ginger does the Curry with Peach Jam? Well because the peaches are lightly flavored with ginger and curry. Don’t worry though, it does not overpower the flavor. It enhances the peach flavor.
Dan’s second description was wow, I can’t believe how peach-ee it tastes! The flavor is super intense, big fruit forward, big deliciousness!
My new fav jam! Don’t worry though, it’s souper easy too!!! I made this jam from start to finish on a live feed last week and here are the step-by-step directions. (Follow the directions below rather than what I say in the video. I’ve made this a couple of times now and have tweaked the recipe a bit.)
There are two ingredients in this jam that are optional.
- If you want to keep this vegan, omit the butter. Butter keeps the jam from foaming when it’s at high heat. The foam doesn’t hurt anything, but just be careful when you are cooking the jam because it could easily overflow. If you omit the butter, just scrape the foam off the top of the jam and discard.
- The Fruit-Fresh is also optional. I use that product because it helps keep the fruit a bright beautiful color, peaches can easily turn brown.
This is a low-sugar jam using the pink box of Sure-Jell fruit pectin. But trust me, just because it’s low sugar please know this is sweet and delicious! When you are canning, sugar is a necessity for the fruit to preserve. Do not use less sugar because if you don’t the fruit may mold and then you will need to discard it.
Ginger does the Curry with Peach Jam #MeatlessMonday
- 5 cups chopped peaches
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- 1 teaspoon Fruit-Fresh optional
- 1 package Low Sugar Sure-Jell pink box
- Take each peach and with a sharp knife cut an X into the bottom of the peach at the tip. Place the peaches in boiling water for about 1 minute. Remove from the water and immediately plunge the peaches into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Then carefully peel, pit and chop the peaches finely.
- Measure out exactly 5 cups.
- Place jars, rings and lids into a pan, cover with water, bring to a boil and boil for three minutes to sterlilize, keep warm.
- In a heavy stock pot, place the chopped peaches, lemon juice, ginger, curry, salt, fruit fresh (if using) and butter. Mix everything together well.
- Measure ¼ cup of sugar and mix it with the contents of the Sure-Jell. Sprinkle it into the peaches, mix well again and set it on the stove on high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- When it comes to a hard boil (a hard boil is one you can't stir down with spoon) add the remaining sugar.
- Continue stirring constantly and return it to a boil and when it comes back to a hard boil, continue boiling it for exactly one minute. (Set a timer to make sure you get it for a full minute).
- Remove from the stove & immediately ladle into sterilized jars. Place lids on jars, screw on tightly. Process in a hot bath (boiling water) for 10 minutes to seal the jars.
- Makes 4-5 eight oz. jars.