Have you ever eaten persimmons?
This isn’t a tomato, it’s a picture of some persimmons that I picked up at the Farmer’s Market. Persimmons are similar in texture to an apple or pear with a slightly sweet flavor. There are two different kinds of persimmons – one for baking, one for eating – today I’m using the “eating” variety – a Fuyu Persimmon. Bottom line is they are delicious! (Want to know more….click here!)
This beautiful salad is very simple and uses great fall harvest fruits and vegetables – butter lettuce, roasted butternut squash, Fuyu persimmons, red onions, and a handful of micro-greens – that’s it! Additionally, topped with a creamy homemade salad dressing it’s a perfect light lunch on a beautiful fall day!
If you aren’t able to find persimmons, you can certainly substitute with a peach, pear or even an apple (with a little lemon juice to keep them from turning color), but I’d encourage you to try them if they are available in your area – again, just make sure you get the eating – not *baking – variety.
You know me – I love a great salad and this is so easy, it’s perfect for a light meal. You should definitely give it a try.
Fall Harvest Salad
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 Fuyu persimmons - can substitute peach or pear if unavailable
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup micro-greens
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel the butternut squash, slice and cut into small cubes - sprinkle with olive oil, salt & pepper and place on a cookie sheet - roast in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, turning once. When roasted, remove and allow to cool - this can easier be done the day before.
- Tear lettuce and place in a large salad bowl, top with the micro-greens.
- Slice persimmons and sprinkle over the top of the salad, add the red onions and add roasted butternut squash, reserving 1/3 of it for the salad dressing.
Creamy Butternut Squash Salad Dressing
- 1/3 cup cooked butternut squash
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoona white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- Place the butternut squash, yogurt, honey, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend well until it is completely combined. While the blender is running, drizzle in the olive oil. Turn off the blender & scrape down the sides well and check the consistency of the salad dressing. Add in the water, one tablespoon at a time until it is the creamy and pour-able.
*As mentioned above, there are two different types of persimmons Astringent and Non-Astringent – The astringent variety is used for cooking & baking cookies – cakes, these are so good when baked, however when the astringent variety is raw it tastes like chalk…. I mean like really bad chalk, eeeewwww! It’s a fun joke to play on people…..like your brother…. I remember once when my bro came over to my house, I had some persimmons sitting on the counter. He’d never seen one before (heck I never had either) and he asked me what it tastes like and I said an apple and so he grabbed one and took a big bite. Oh…..I paid for that one later! But hey, that’s what brothers and sister’s do….right? 😀
The non-astrigent variety – is sweet, flavorful and delicious! That’s the type you want for this recipe!