Easy Cheesy Vegetable Soup
Last week I was a guest blogger at Creative Mama Messy House. The recipe I shared was Easy Cheesy Vegetable Soup. Less than 300 calories per generous serving and complete is only 30 minutes! It’s so delicious and satisfying – I thought this recipe would be a great to share today on Meatless Monday
You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy this soup! Because we’re getting closer to summer, I’m lightening things up and leaving out the meat, but just because it’s meatless, don’t think it doesn’t bring the flavor. This soup is mighty tasty AND it’s done in just 30 minutes!
Chopped veggies, cream sherry, vegetable stock and a couple of cheeses – goat & pepper jack. That and some spices round out this soup.
If you don’t have these vegetables, add the ones you have in your fridge, kale & spinach would be a delicious addition, as would carrots, celery or corn – you’ll need about 8-10 cups of chopped vegetables. In fact it takes longer to chop the vegetables then it does to cook the soup!
It’s that easy and that delicious! Here’s the recipe –
Cheesy Vegetable Soup
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 zucchini chopped
- 2 bell peppers - red & yellow chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 16 oz . bag frozen peas
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk or half & half
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- 4 oz . goat cheese
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
- Begin by chopping all the vegetables and mincing the garlic. When this is complete heat your stock pot over medium heat. Add in the olive oil & butter. When the oil is hot & bubbly, add in the onions & mushrooms. Season with Italian Seasoning & red pepper flakes & sauté for about 3 minutes. Add in the zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, salt & pepper and saute another 5 minutes, lastly, add in the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Next add the flour. Continue to saute and mixing it in with all of the vegetables. Cook the flour for a couple of minutes until it becomes a rich honey color. Then remove the stock pot from the flame and add in the sherry - return it to the flame and stir well, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in both of the cheese and stir to combine and melt the cheese. Add the vegetable stock & milk and mix well. Once the cheese is melted, add in the frozen peas and stir. It will just take a moment to heat them thru and wa-la! The soup is complete!